Twice Baked Potatoes
4 large baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
4 tsp. butter, softened plus 2 Tbsp.
1 1/3 c. grated cheddar*
milk or half & half
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Scrub potatoes and dry them well. Rub each potato with 1 tsp. butter. Pierce potatoes several times with a fork. Place in a shallow baking dish at least 1 inch apart. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
2. When potatoes are ready, horizontally cut off the top 1/3 of potatoes. Scoop out potato leaving about 1/4 inch thick shell.
3. Place scooped out potato in a large bowl, reserving shells. Don't forget to scrape the tops of the potatoes, too. Discard the top skins.
4. Mash the potato and add the 2 Tbsp. butter with enough milk (or half & half) to make it soft. Mix in the grated cheese, garlic, salt & pepper and crumbled bacon. Spoon this mixture evenly into each potato shell, mounding evenly.
5. Place filled potatoes back into baking dish. Bake until tops are lightly browned and potatoes are heated through - about 20 to 25 min.
*I use Cheddar, but you can always use any other kind of cheese you like.