Vermont Whole Wheat Oatmeal Honey Bread
2 c. boiling water
1 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. honey
1/4 c. butter
2 1/2 tsp. salt or 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. yeast
2 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3 c. bread flour
1. Combine water, oats, brown sugar, honey, butter, salt and cinnamon. Let cool to lukewarm.
2. Add yeast, whole wheat flour and bread flour. Stir until incorporated. Knead on a lightly floured board for 5 to 7 minutes or until dough is shiny and smooth.
3. Transfer to a greased bowl; cover with plastic; rise for 1 hour.
4. Divide dough in half. Shaped into loaves and place in 2 greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" pans.
5. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise for 60 to 90 minutes or until it rises 1" over the top of the pans.
6. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting with foil after 25 minutes. Remove when golden brown OR inner temperature reaches 190 degrees.
7. Turn onto rack to cool completely.
*Add an extra 2 to 3 Tbsp. water if the dough seems too dry.
Adapted from recipe found on the King Arthur Flour website.