Tuna Salad Wrap
Use vegetables in wraps, which hold better than sandwiches if
you keep the wrapper flexible and don't overstuff them. The
following recipe uses cream cheese and a lettuce leaf to prevent
the moist filling from turning the wrapper soggy. Cold wraps
usually improve in flavor by sitting in the refrigerator overnight.
Makes 4 wraps.
View Online: http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/html/231.shtml
- 1 can (6.5 oz.) water-packed white tuna, drained
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried chives or chervil
- 2-4 Tbsp. nonfat mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 Tbsp. nonfat cream cheese
- 4 well-dried leaves of leafy green lettuce slightly smaller than a
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 sprigs fresh mint, cilantro, or flat-leaf parsley
In small bowl, combine tuna, carrot, celery, green pepper,
chives and enough mayonnaise to make a moist (but not
wet) salad. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
On each tortilla, spread a thin layer of cream cheese
(about 1 tablespoon) across the center two-thirds of
tortilla's surface, leaving a 2-inch margin along edges.
Center 1 lettuce leaf on top of each tortilla. Press leaf into
cream cheese. Spread one-fourth of the tuna salad firmly
over each lettuce leaf, leaving a 2-inch margin at top and
bottom of each tortilla. Sprinkle one-fourth of cheese over
each tortilla and top with sprig of fresh mint or other fresh herb.
Fold the bottom of the tortilla up to cover the top of the
filling. Fold in the two sides a quarter-inch. Roll tortilla up,
holding side folds in. Roll wraps tightly and as firmly as
possible to ensure packets stays closed. Tightly seal each
in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve or pack.
Wraps made without wet ingredients can keep for 24 hours
or more without getting soggy.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories: 238 ; Protein: 20 g ; Fat: 6 g ;
Sodium: 534 mg; Carbohydrates: 24 g
Exchanges: 2 Low-Fat Meat; 1 Bread/Starch; 1-1/2 Vegetable