Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Chili Gravy
1 1/2 lbs. chicken, cooked and chopped
1 recipe of Chili Gravy (recipe follows)
1/2 can (15 oz) corn
1/2 can (15 oz) beans (your choice)*
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded cheese
sliced black olives, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pour thin layer of chili gravy in bottom of a 9 x 13 pan; spread evenly.
3. Lay tortillas on top and then another thin layer of gravy.
4. Spread chicken over this.
5. Mix together the corn, beans and onion. Spread this over the chicken.
6. Sprinkle on half the cheese.
7. Top with more tortillas and another layer of gravy.
8. Top with remaining cheese and olives.
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
*You can use black beans, pinto beans or whatever type you want. I used kidney beans because that was what I had on the shelf.
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne
2 cups beef stock
1. Mix oil and flour in saucepan over medium heat until bubbly.
2. Add spices and mix in well.
3. Add beef stock and heat until somewhat thickened.
This makes enough to put on the inside of the casserole. If you want more to ladle over the top when serving, then double the recipe.