Grandma's Best Doughnuts
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
oil for frying
Cinnamon Sugar - 1/2 c. sugar + 2 tsp. cinnamon
1. In mixer beat together butter and sugar; add the egg; mix well.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
3. Add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately, mixing well.
4. Turn onto a floured board. Knead for a couple of minutes, adding more flour if dough is too sticky to work.
5. Roll to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with doughnut cutter.
6. Fry in 375 degree oil - just a few at a time - 2 minutes per side.
7. Drain on paper towels. Toss in cinnamon/sugar mixture.