Quick Hamburger Buns
2 Tbsp. yeast
1 cup warm water
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
1. Dissolve yeast in water. Add oil and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in egg and salt.
2. Add wheat flour and 1 cup bread flour; mix well. Add last cup of flour - a little at a time - until you have a soft dough.
3. Turn onto floured board and knead for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Divide into 8 to 10 pieces and shape into balls.*
5. Place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on rack.
*I made 6 huge buns out of this. When I say huge, I mean HUGE!!!! If I had realized they would be that big, I would have made 8. These are soooooo good!
I haven't tried this in the bread machine, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just make sure you add the ingredients per manufacturers instructions. Set on the "Dough" cycle. When done, take out the dough, shape and set on the baking sheet. Let rise for 20 minutes and bake.
Adapted from a recipe from letsdishrecipes.com